News & Insights
Corvallis Kitchen Remodel: Before & After
Pat and Bob asked us to completely remodel their dated kitchen to provide better functionality by increasing the brightness and updating the kitchen materials. In order to best use the space available in their kitchen we decided to use custom cabinetry from Eager Beaver cabinets (a local custom cabinet shop). We wrote the contract to give flexibility for Pat and Bob to change their cabinetry, countertops and tile work choices. If the costs were less, then they would get money back. The new kitchen includes Red Oak hardwood floors, Silestone countertops and Custom Tile backsplashes. As with many of our projects, we suggested adding a tile inset to protect the hardwood floors from wet shoes and scratches at the exterior doors. We designed the new cabinetry around their appliances saving Pat and Bob from purchasing new appliances.
A few things that you will notice:
- Remove the drywall ceiling soffits. These soffits were last popular about 20 years ago. Now we use the added space for larger cabinets.
- Remove the vinyl flooring, in this home we tested and found asbestos in the vinyl. A fully trained and licensed asbestos abatement crew made short work of the floor without spreading hazardous fibers into the rest of the home.
- The dated cabinets are gone, replaced with shaker style solid birch cabinets.
- The harvest yellow plastic laminate countertops are gone, replaced with solid surface Silestone to complement the cabinetry.
- A new stainless steel sink and faucet replace the old porcelain.
- The new microwave/hood now vents out through the roof, rather than just recycling the cooking fumes into the kitchen.
Partway through the design process, we realized that taller windows would help brighten the kitchen. We provided Pat and Bob with quotes to increase the window size and were able to accomplish this on schedule. Please call us at 541-754-6326 if you have a home project in mind, we’d love to come visit and help you accomplish your goals.